Kneecaps are also known as knee braces. These are a type of orthopedic aids which are worn around the knee area to support the impaired knee joint while moving or accomplishing any weight-bearing activities.
Types of a knee brace
Knee braces are differentiated into three types:
1. Prophylactic Braces: These kinds of braces are designed to protect knees from injuries arising during contact sports like football and rugby.
2. Functional Braces: These are designed to offer support to the knees which are already injured.
3. Rehabilitative Braces: These are designed in such a manner that the kneecap can glide effortlessly over the knee joint.
The functional and the rehabilitative braces are beneficial in all ways and are the most commonly recommended.
The use of kneecaps or braces is indicated in the following conditions:
1. Ruptured ligaments like the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL).
4. Sprained Knee
5. Partial tear of the ligament.
6. Dislocation of knee caps (Patellar dislocation)
Benefits of the Knee brace
1. These help in stabilizing the kneecap.
2. Aids in reducing the pain and discomfort after an injury.
3. Offers protection for the knee from any further injuries to some extent.
4. Offers support the knee after a surgery.
5. Available in all sizes.
6. Ideal for all sportspersons and elderly.
The knee braces or caps are made with different combinations of metal, foam, plastic, elastic materials and some straps. Some knee braces are also made up of an elastic fabric material which can be just pulled through the leg and placed over the knee.
How to wear a kneecap?
1. Firstly, care should be taken to check whether the hinges of the knee braces are at the position where the knee bends.
2. The straps or the Velcro should be fastened around the leg tightly.
3. The knee brace should not be so tight so that there is discomfort while walking.
4. The knee brace should be worn during all activities.
1. After a knee surgery.
2. Instead of undergoing a surgery a knee brace is used to support the torn knee ligament.
3. It is used when there is a pain in the front part of the knee which is not getting better with any flexibility exercises.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can knee brace be worn to bed?
Ideally, it is not recommended to wear a knee brace while sleeping. The knee brace is meant for support during any activity or sport for about an hour or two.
2. What is Bursitis of the knee?
Bursa is a sac filled with fluid that helps in reducing the friction and helps the joints to glide smoothly. When this bursa gets inflamed then it is called as Bursitis.
3. How long can one wear a knee brace?
A knee brace can be worn all day. If anyone has a particular injury or is participating in any sports activity then a proper knee brace should be worn for that particular event.
4. Can one perform exercises when knee braces are advised?
Yes, the regular therapeutic exercises which are recommended for knee strengthening, knee stretching should be continued. Warm up exercises should also be done before any sports activities.
Where to buy it?
Knee Caps or braces are available in Hyderabad at:
TrueCare Surgicals (Store 1)
Address: H.No 1-100, G2, Hitech City main road, Opposite Indian Oil Petrol Pump, Madhapur, Hyderabad, Telangana 500081.
TrueCare Surgicals (Store 2)
Address: Nizampet X road, Near Sri Holistic Hospital, Behind Vasireddy Swagruha Foods, Kukatpally, Hyderabad, Telangana 500072