An arm sling is any device used for an orthopedic purpose which aids in supporting and immobilizing an injured part of the body. The arm sling strap is a simple thick strap which has a two-way buckle system that helps to suspend the forearm with the elbow in 90-degree flexion. The straps are adjustable and hence; provide great comfort to the injured part.
The arm sling straps are to be worn in the following conditions:
1. Shoulder dislocation
2. Shoulder sprains
3. Rotator cuff injury or repair
4. Arm fracture
5. Shoulder fracture
6. Surgical or non-surgical management of arm fractures
The arm sling straps have following benefits:
1. Reduces the risk of opening a closed injury.
2. Prevents any sort of movement of the broken or dislocated bone.
3. Reduces pain.
4. Prevents any further damage to the blood vessels, muscles and nerves.
5. Adjustable hence can be used for a long time.
6. Durable and portable.
The arm sling straps are made up of foam for utmost comfort to the shoulder. The hook closure fastens anywhere on the foam strap for proper adjustment.
How to wear an arm sling strap?
1. Put the hand and the forearm through one end of the loop in the strap and position the loop properly near the elbow.
2. Get the strap around the neck to slide the second loop also into the same hand and position it near the wrist properly.
3. Adjust the strap length properly by using the sliding buckles.
4. If, require a hemi-sling support then bring the second loop of the strap from the backside through the armpit and then over the other shoulder for appending the forearm.
1. These are used as first aid.
2. Used to support the arm or shoulder.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can splint heal fractures?
If a person undergoes a surgery, then the person may have a cast instead of a splint. Mostly the fractures heal well hence the splint is usually used for about three weeks.
2. How long one has to wear a sling for a broken arm?
There are pain and swelling which lasts for one to two weeks. Most probably the person has to wear a sling for about three weeks for it to heal to some extent.
3. Can a completely torn rotator cuff heal without a surgery?
Yes, many rotator cuff tears can be cured without surgery by simply advising anti-inflammatory medications, steroid injections and physiotherapy which in turn may be helpful in treating the symptoms of a cuff tear.
4. Can one wear an arm sling to bed?
Yes, one can wear an arm sling to bed at night as some injuries require the arm sling to be kept on for a while.
Where to buy it?
The arm sling straps are available in Hyderabad at:
TrueCare Surgicals (Store 1)
Address: H.No 1-100, G2, Hitech City main road, Opposite Indian Oil Petrol Pump, Madhapur, Hyderabad, Telangana 500081.
TrueCare Surgicals (Store 2)
Address: Nizampet X road, Near Sri Holistic Hospital, Behind Vasireddy Swagruha Foods, Kukatpally, Hyderabad, Telangana 500072