Tennis elbow support or braces are orthopedic devices that used in conditions like the Tennis elbow or Golfer’s elbow. It is designed in such a way that it helps in relieving the generalized pain and tenderness in the forearm and elbow. Mostly used by tennis and badminton players, golfers, and cricketers.
Benefits of the Tennis Elbow Support
1. Stabilizes the injured forearm.
2. It offers localized compression and warmth that relieves general pain and tenderness in the elbow and forearm.
3. Less expensive.
4. Wearing an elbow brace can prevent chronic injuries.
2. Post elbow arthroscopy
3. Tennis Elbow
4. Golfer’s Elbow
5. Chronic swelling and edema
6. Elbow injuries
The tennis elbow support is made up of puff fused matty fabric which consists of padding for comfort. Some tennis elbow braces are also made up of 1/8 inch of neoprene which offers therapeutic heat retention and compression along with double sided nylon which is assembled for durability purpose. It also consists of a hook and loop (Velcro) cinch strap that applies direct pressure on the tendons and snugs well.
How to wear a tennis elbow support or brace?
1. Firstly, rest the injured elbow on a cushioned surface to reduce strain.
2. The lateral elbow muscles should be rubbed gently with fingers to locate the exact spot that seems to be painful.
3. After locating the spot, place the brace component of the arm directly on the spot of the forearm and then release the Velcro strap.
4. The brace should rest on the top of the forearm while the strap should be resting on the outer side of the arm.
5. Hold the brace in place and wrap the Velcro strap under the arm and fasten it to the top of the brace component.
6. The strap should be wrapped firmly around the arm in such a way that it supports the lateral muscles and does not cut off the circulation.
7. If in case, there is any tingling sensation or sudden paleness observed or sensed then the Velcro strap around the arm should be loosened to allow slight circulation.
1. It is used by Athletes
3. Sportsperson playing racket and bat sports
4. Post elbow surgery
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is a tennis elbow?
It is the inflammation of the tendons of the elbow. It is caused due to overuse of the muscles of the forearm. Repetitive wrist and arm motions can also lead to this problem. This is usually observed on the posterior (outer) of the elbow and sometimes in the forearm and wrist with pain being its primary symptom.
2. How can a tennis elbow be fixed?
Tennis elbow can be fixed by undertaking some simple measures like putting ice packs on the injured elbow to reduce the swelling and pain, consuming some NSAID’s (Non- Steroidal Anti-inflammatory drugs) to help to relieve pain and swelling and sometimes using an elbow strap to protect it from any further injury.
3. How long does it take to heal from tennis elbow?
It takes approximately one to three weeks or it may take longer depending upon its severity. Rest is the only way with which it can heal faster.
4. How long should one wear the tennis elbow support or brace?
The tennis elbow support or brace should be worn only when one has to participate in an activity which requires the utilization of those muscles. One should avoid using the tennis elbow support while sleeping or resting or even during walks as it is not beneficial at all.
Where can you buy it?
The Tennis Elbow Supports are available in Hyderabad at:
TrueCare Surgicals (Store 1)
Address: H.No 1-100, G2, Hitech City main road, Opposite Indian Oil Petrol Pump, Madhapur, Hyderabad, Telangana 500081.
TrueCare Surgicals (Store 2)
Address: Nizampet X road, Near Sri Holistic Hospital, Behind Vasireddy Swagruha Foods, Kukatpally, Hyderabad, Telangana 500072