Coccyx or the tailbone is the bone that is located at the bottom end of the spine. Coccyx pain is also known as coccydynia is a result of vaginal childbirth, fall, fracture, dislocation or no recognizable cause. The coccyx pain can be severe and can also limit an individual’s ability to sit, work, and walk and accomplish the daily chores.
There is one way with which an individual can get rid of the coccyx pain and that is to use a coccyx pillow or cushion. It is made up of gel or heavy-duty foam which has a cutout at the back to relieve the pressure on the tailbone or the spine.
This cushion can be used anywhere and everywhere. It can be used in the car, at the workplace, during travel, and at home. Basically, it is used where one needs to spend hours in a sitting position.
1. Relieves pain in the lower back and coccyx area.
4. Easy to use
7. Many sizes and types are available
1. Used in coccyx pain and tailbone related injuries
2. For sciatica
3. Improves healing and comforts women who have given childbirth
4. To relieve pain from prostate related suffering
5. To relieve pain from pressure ulcers
6. Used in haemorrhoids
1. The coccyx pillows or cushions are made either of gel or dense and heavy-weight foam which provide cushioning effect to the tailbone or spine.
2. The pillow has a cutout at the back which reduces pressure on the tailbone.
3. Some of the pillows or cushions are made in a variety of levels of firmness and only the comfortable cushion is selected for use.
4. There are some cushions which are made up of gel tops as the gel layer provides soft cushioning and comfort.
5. The coccyx cushion also has a 3’’ foam base.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is a coccyx?
A small triangular bone like a shortened tail located at the bottom of the spine. It is also known as the tailbone. It is composed of three to five spinal bones or the coccygeal vertebrae. It is connected to the sacrum with the help of an amphiarthrodial joint. The function of coccyx is to support and stabilize a person in a sitting position.
2. What is coccyx pain?
The pain that occurs in or around the bony structure at the bottom of the spine (coccyx) due to falling, during vaginal birth, prolonged sitting on the hard and narrow surfaces, degenerative joint changes etc.
3. Can Coccyx pain be cured?
Yes, it can be cured by using over the counter non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAIDs) drugs until the pain reduces and heals the tailbone. This pain can also be cured by using a doughnut-shaped pillow or a V-shaped cushion.
4. Do coccyx cushions work?
Yes, coccyx cushion helps to ease out coccyx pain. This cushion is designed for the tailbone and is made up of gel or heavy-duty foam and a cutout at the back to relieve pressure on the tailbone or spine.
Where to buy it?
Coccyx pillows are available in Hyderabad at:
TrueCare Surgicals (Store 1)
Address: H.No 1-100, G2, Hitech City main road, Opposite Indian Oil Petrol Pump, Madhapur, Hyderabad, Telangana 500081.
TrueCare Surgicals (Store 2)
Address: Nizampet X road, Near Sri Holistic Hospital, Behind Vasireddy Swagruha Foods, Kukatpally, Hyderabad, Telangana 500072