An elbow crutch is a mobility aid which helps in distributing the weight from the legs to the upper body. Usually used by people who have difficulty in walking or cannot use their legs to support their body weight due to lifelong disabilities or temporary injuries.
An elbow crutch is also known as Forearm crutch. Use of these crutches helps in distributing the body weight in the arms rather than only the armpit. These crutches can be used alone or in pairs. The use of walking aids promotes a reduction in pain and helps in faster healing.
1. Easy to use
3. Easy and safe to ascend and descend the stairs
4. Portable and travel-friendly
6. Improves posture
7. Modern design
8. Improves walking speed
An elbow crutch or the forearm crutch consists of these parts: a frame, cuff, grip handle, tip and height adjusters.
1. The frame is made up of aluminum alloy. It has high strength and low density hence light in weight.
2. The cuffs are made of plastic like Nylon which has high strength and stiffness which give proper support to the user.
3. The grip handles are either made of rubber or of the same plastic as the cuffs. Rubber provides more comfort than the plastic.
4. The tip of the elbow crutch is made of rubber as it gives sufficient grip and stability. It also prevents slipping while walking.
5. Height adjustments may be of two types either pins or clamps. Both of these are made of stainless steel as they have high abrasion due to which they are durable and also have high strength.
The use of crutches is indicated in the following conditions:
1. Loss of limb (either amputated or injured)
2. Balancing problems
3. Birth deformities
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do crutches hurt?
Yes, the crutches may hurt if they do not fit properly. While walking with an injured leg the elbows, shoulders, the torso, and the wrists all support it and might cause some discomfort in the armpits. Hence the positioning of the crutches is very important.
2. Do crutches cause back pain?
Yes, there might be a back pain while using the crutches. While coping with a leg injury,
A person has to use the crutch for walking and while doing so the body has to lean forward and due to its continuous use, the patient might experience back pain.
3. What types of crutches are the best?
Crutches are of two types the forearm crutch (elbow crutch) and the underarm crutch. Most preferred are the forearm crutches.
4. How to hold the crutches?
Crutches are to be held tightly on the sides. The person should lean forward and place the crutches one foot in front of the body. The total body weight should be on the handgrips of the crutches and then start walking.
Where to buy it?
Elbow crutches are available in Hyderabad at:
TrueCare Surgicals (Store 1)
Address: H.No 1-100, G2, Hitech City main road, Opposite Indian Oil Petrol Pump, Madhapur, Hyderabad, Telangana 500081.
TrueCare Surgicals (Store 2)
Address: Nizampet X road, Near Sri Holistic Hospital, Behind Vasireddy Swagruha Foods, Kukatpally, Hyderabad, Telangana 500072