What is a Philadelphia Collar?
A Philadelphia collar, also known as a cervical collar, is a neck brace used to prevent head and neck movement after an injury to the cervical spine. It supports the neck muscles and gives the spinal cord and ligaments time to heal.
Who is it for?
It is for patients suffering from:
- Nerve root irritation
- Stable/simple fractures
- Reduced dislocations
- Transitioning from halo body jacket
- Cervical neck surgery
- Whiplash or neck trauma
- A broken neck
- Disc injuries
- Chronic neck pain
It immobilizes the neck and provides support to the cervical spine by preventing any movement so as to allow healing to take place.
Features of a Philadelphia Collar:
- It is composed of hard plastic, with velcro straps to keep it closed
- The front piece has a chin cup for rest
- The back piece is curved and fits against the lower part of the head
How to put the collar on?
It is essential to put on the collar correctly to allow the spine to be lined up properly. Professional help is recommended. Following steps are to be followed-
- Lie on the back with both pieces of the collar within easy reach
- Carefully slip the back half of the collar under the neck and slide it into position.
- Put the top half of the collar on.
- Tighten the straps to make the collar fit snugly.
When to wear the collar?
The Philadelphia collar should be worn when in bed, in the shower, while sitting, walking, etc. It is recommended to wear the collar at all times unless otherwise indicated by the treating physician.
What else should one know about using a Philadelphia collar?
- The collar should only be removed while lying down flat. Do not allow anyone to adjust the collar unless they are trained to do so.
- Check the skin under the collar every day. A gel pad is recommended if the collar irritates the skin. Gel pads help decrease pressure on the skin.
- The collar can be sponged every day using a cloth soaked in warm water and soap, and then patted dry with a towel. This will remove sweat, dirt and grime. Do not use a hair dryer to dry it.
- Activities such as playing physical sports or running, driving a motor vehicle, lifting heavy items or doing any manual work should strictly be avoided.
- Attempting to bend the head or neck in any direction should also be avoided while wearing the collar.
Where to buy it?
Philadelphia collars are available in Hyderabad at:
TrueCare Surgicals (Store 1)
Address: H.No 1-100, G2, Hitech City Main Road, Opposite Indian Oil Petrol Pump, Madhapur, Hyderabad, Telangana- 500081
TrueCare Surgicals (Store 2)
Address: Nizampet X Road, Near Sri Sri Holistic Hospital, Behind Vasireddy Swagruha Foods, Kukatpally, Hyderabad, Telangana- 500072
There are no reviews yet.