A sphygmomanometer is a device that is used to measure blood pressure. There are two types available both manual and digital. The digital blood pressure monitors are electronic devices that measure the blood pressure and the reading is displayed on the LCD screen.
These digital monitors use oscillometric measurements and electronic calculations to display the result than the auscultations. The systolic and diastolic pressures are oscillometrically detected. The inflation and deflation of the cuff happen automatically along with a reduction in the pressure.
1. Easy mode of operation
2. Ideal for home use
4. Useful for hearing impaired people
5. Easy to read
The digital blood pressure monitor consists of the following units:
1. The main unit: Made of plastic and consists of an LCD display screen, Start stop button, a memory button, an air jack, and a battery compartment.
2. Air tube and air plug
3. Standard adult arm cuff
4. Batteries used are AAA alkaline batteries four in number.
1. The digital blood pressure monitor achieves the blood pressure measurement automatically with the help of a pump, pressure sensor, cuff, and a valve.
2. The signal from the pressure sensor is broken by an instrumentation amplifier before getting converted by the analog to digital converter.
3. Further, the systolic, diastolic pressures and the pulse rate are calculated in the digital domain by using a suitable method and then these measurements are then displayed on the LCD screen.
1. To measure the blood pressure
2. To measure the pulse rate
3. Useful for those who have been detected with hypertension
4. Useful for pregnant ladies with hypertension or preeclampsia
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is blood pressure?
Blood pressure is the measure of how much force is exerted on the walls of the blood vessels as the blood flows through them. The systolic is the upper number which represents the pressure when the heart contracts to pump the blood to the body and the diastolic is the lower number represents the pressure between the heartbeats when the heart relaxes.
2. On which arm the blood pressure should be measured right or left?
It is recommended that the blood pressure should be measured from the left arm. The left should be resting comfortably at heart level. Prior to taking the blood pressure reading the person should rest for about five to ten minutes.
3. Are blood pressure machines accurate?
No, these drugstore monitors are not accurate enough as they require regular maintenance and calibration. Hence, nowadays digital blood pressure monitors are the best choice for many people.
4. What should one’s blood pressure be?
Blood pressure is considered to be normal if it’s more than 120/80mm of Hg and less than 140/90 mm of Hg. If it’s on the higher than the range mentioned then one should try to lower it.
5. What time of the day the blood pressure is at its lowest?
Normally, the blood pressure is lowest in the night while sleeping. The blood pressure starts to rise slowly before one wakes up and is at its peak in the afternoon and then again slowly lowers down in the evening.
Where to buy it?
Digital blood pressure machine is available in Hyderabad at:
TrueCare Surgicals (Store 1)
Address: H.No 1-100, G2, Hitech City main road, Opposite Indian Oil Petrol Pump, Madhapur, Hyderabad, Telangana 500081.
TrueCare Surgicals (Store 2)
Address: Nizampet X road, Near Sri Holistic Hospital, Behind Vasireddy Swagruha Foods, Kukatpally, Hyderabad, Telangana 500072