What is a shoulder immobilizer?
A shoulder immobilizer is used to support and immobilize an injured shoulder or a dislocated/fractured arm.
Who is it for?
It is used by patients who suffer from a dislocated shoulder, soft tissue injuries like strain and sprain in the shoulder joint, and for conditions like bursitis (it is the inflammation of the fluid-filled pads (bursae) that act as cushions at the joints).
It is also used for emergency splinting to secure the arm and shoulder.
What are its features?
A typical shoulder immobilizer has the following features-
- A large chest band/strap
- An upper arm cuff
- A hand/wrist cuff,
- An over the shoulder strap
Why is it needed?
- The shoulder immobilizer is designed to not only support the arm but also to protect the user from doing certain motions. It protects the arm from other people pulling on or against the arm. It also protects the arm at night, so that the individual does not sleep on it wrong or move it in the wrong position.
- The brace should be worn at all times except when showering or doing exercises. When showering or dressing it may be helpful to have a family member or caretaker assist in keeping the shoulder in the correct position when the brace is off. It is very important that the immobilizer is worn at night.
What are the things to keep in mind while using a shoulder immobilizer?
- It is recommended that the immobilizer is not applied directly to the skin as this can cause a rash. Instead, it is recommended to put on a t-shirt or a button down shirt first, and then apply the brace. This shirt will also keep the cold from freezing the patient’s skin if the individual is using an iceman device for pain relief.
- It is also important to keep a small washcloth or towel under the armpit to keep this area clean and dry. If this is not done, then occasionally the area can get a fungal infection or rash from an excess of moisture.
- While wearing the brace, it is recommended that a pillow is placed behind the elbow when sitting or laying down for comfort. This keeps the elbow from moving behind the back, which is a position that can damage surgical repair.
Where to buy it?
Shoulder immobilizers are available in Hyderabad at:
- TrueCare Surgicals (Store 1)
Address:H.No 1-100, G2, Hitech City Main Road, Opposite Indian Oil Petrol Pump, Madhapur, Hyderabad, Telangana- 500081
- TrueCare Surgicals (Store 2)
Nizampet X Road, Near Sri Holistic Hospital, Behind Vasireddy Swagruha Foods, Kukatpally, Hyderabad, Telangana- 500072