Who needs an airbed?
Designed especially for patients who are involved in long-term care or home care. This results in limited or no movement even for daily activities. This gives rise to various ailments which are resolved by the usage of this product. The patients suffering from bedridden conditions like back pain, bedsores are benefited with its usage. Airbeds are comfortable to use and also easy to clean. This medical device is durable for a long period and inexpensive.
How does it work?
This works on the principle of distributed pressure over larger areas and providing a better interface to pressure-sensitive areas. Using pressure ulcer prevention strategies which reduce the magnitude and duration of pressure at the interface of a patient and the bed.
The cells in the mattress inflate alternatively with equal time intervals, providing uniform pressure to all underlying tissues between muscles and bed surface.
Which type of patients are recommended to use Airbed
Patients suffering from one of the below health problems can be benefited from the usage of the airbed. Airbeds can also be used as a preventive measure from all the below health conditions
- Spinal cord injuries– This can happen due to accidents, slip disk etc.
- Bed Sores/Decubitus ulcers-Body tissues do not get enough of nutrients and oxygen when the lower body tissues and the skin are caged between the bone and bed due to long-term bed rest. This results in inadequate blood supply to the tissue and skin which results in the death of the tissues which are called the sores.
- Skin shearing-It is necessary to provide appropriate microclimate to the patient’s skin due to bed rest or may result in shearing.
- Back pain-Due to continuous lying on the bed the muscles get restricted to one position which results in back pain
- Ulcers- It is used by the patients who are prone to have ulcers and also for people who are suffering with it for speeding up the recovery.
Steps to install the Airbed
Place the bed and pump on a flat surface with connections on the foot side.
Place a foam covering above the bed for comfort
Make both the connection firmly with the help of air tubes one at the end with the pump and other with the air bed.
Switch on the electric supply, let the bed inflate. Adjust the pressure knobs.
Do not switch off the pump during usage.
When not in use switch off the pump, fold the bed and keep it aside.
Specifications of an airbed
- Maximum capacity to take weight 100kg
- Can be used continuously for 12 hrs with one hour rest
- Size of the bed is regular
- Each pack consist of a pump and mattress
- Patch up the bed immediately if there is leakage by an accident
- Do not smoke near the airbed
- Please check the pump connections for any leakage or other problems
- Do not stand on the bed
- Keep away from sharp objects
- It can be cleaned with mild detergent