A surgical blade is also known as the scalpel is an important tool for performing surgical procedures and tissue dissections. They differ in sizes and shapes. They have different numbers which indicate their size and shape. The differentiating factor of surgical blades is the spine, slot, and edge.
The surgical blades or scalpels can be single-use disposable or re-usable. The re-usable scalpel has permanently attached blades which can be re-used and also be sharpened. The disposable scalpels usually come with a plastic handle and an extensible knife and can be used only once.
During surgery, the non-attached and replaceable blade is the most commonly used scalpel blade.
There are some commonly used surgical blades and they have been distinguished as per numbers. The numbers for the surgical blades denote the size, shape and their particular use.
1. Number 10 blades: It has a large cutting edge and one of the most traditional blades. Used to make large incisions and cutting soft tissues.
2. Number 11 blades: Elongated and triangular blade. As it has a pointed tip it is an ideal blade for stab incisions and precise shortcuts in shallow recessed areas.
3. Number 12 blades: It is small, pointed and a crescent-shaped blade which is sharpened along the inside edge of the curve and used as a suture cutter.
4. Number 15 blades: It has a small and curved cutting edge and is ideal for making short and precise incisions.
5. Number 22 blades: It is larger than the number 10 blade which has a curved cutting edge and flat unsharpened back edge. This blade is used for making large incisions through thick skin.
Benefits of Surgical Blades
1. The surgical blades are fine enough and can make precise incisions.
2. They are sharp and can penetrate evenly and make it easier to take a cut.
3. They are sterile.
4. Some of the blades are disposable.
5. They are rigid and hence, do not bend easily.
Uses of Surgical Blades
1. Surgical procedures.
2. Anatomical dissections.
4. In various arts and crafts.
Make of a Surgical Blade
The scalpel blades are made of hardened and tempered steel, stainless steel, or high carbon steel. Some of the scalpel blade edges are coated with zirconium nitride which improves sharpness and edge retention. Some other scalpel blades are polymer coated so as to increase the lubricity during a cut.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is No.10 blade used for?
The No. 10 blade has a curved cutting edge and is one of the most traditional blade shapes. This type of blade is used for making varying sizes of an incision in the skin and muscle.
2. How are the surgical blades numbered?
The surgical blades are numbered according to their shapes and sizes. The different numbers for the blades are indicated for a different use. For example, some can be useful in making larger incisions and cutting soft tissues or make smaller incisions etc.
3. Is Scalpel sharper than a razor?
Yes, scalpels are sharper than razors as not sharper but they are fine and cannot be used as similar to the scalpel.
4. Why is Obsidian used in scalpel blades?
Some surgeons use Obsidian for scalpel blades as the Obsidian blades have cutting edge much sharper than the stainless steel surgical scalpels which make it easy for making fine incisions.
5. Why safety scalpel should be used?
Safety scalpels shield unused or contaminated blades during preparation, disassembly, and disposal.
6. What is the difference between carbon steel and stainless steel blades?
Carbon steel blades are harder, sharper and cannot be resterilized hence disposable. Stainless steel blades are flexible but not as hard as the carbon steel blades but can stay sharper for a long duration and can also be resterilized.
Where to buy it?
Surgical Blades are available in Hyderabad at:
TrueCare Surgicals (Store 1)
Address: H.No 1-100, G2, Hitech City main road, Opposite Indian Oil Petrol Pump, Madhapur, Hyderabad, Telangana 500081.
TrueCare Surgicals (Store 2)
Address: Nizampet X road, Near Sri Holistic Hospital, Behind Vasireddy Swagruha Foods, Kukatpally, Hyderabad, Telangana 500072
TrueCare Surgicals (Store 3)
Address: Near Nallagandla Bata Showroom, Beside Prestige Showroom, Opp side of Ratnadeep Supermarket, Nallagandla, Seri lingampally, Hyderabad.
Phone: 83090 78115