Forehead thermometers are the devices which measure the forehead temperature by measuring the infrared energy emitted from the skin surface above the eyebrow area. The emitted energy is collected by the lens and converted into the temperature values.
They are also known as temporal thermometers as they read the temperature at the temporal artery that is present below the skin. These thermometers can accurately read a person’s temperature in less than 10 seconds.
Benefits of Forehead Thermometer
1. Quick and instant display of reading
2. Convenient for use in sleeping, children
3. Easy to use
4. Travel- friendly
6. Easy to read
Making of Forehead Thermometer
1. The forehead thermometer is made of plastic.
2. This thermometer uses infrared energy to measure the temperature.
3. The thermometer consists of a probe or a sensor or a lens at the top. This lens collects the emitted energy from the temporal artery and converts it into temperature values.
4. The temperature measurement or the reading can be achieved even when this thermometer is held 4cm away from the suggested skin surface that is the centre of the forehead.
5. On the front side of the devices are two buttons in which one is a white power button towards the bottom of the handle and the second one is the green temperature button that has to be pressed while measuring the temperature.
6. It also consists of a memory button which when pressed can show up to 20 previous readings.
7. Most importantly, the large backlit LCD display that displays the reading. The LCD display is colour-coded and displays instant fever.
8. Colour codes for depicting temperature are green which means no fever, yellow means slight elevation in temperature and red signals for the presence of fever.
9. This device works on alkaline batteries and requires 2 AAA batteries.
Usage of Forehead Thermometer
Most commonly used to measure quick temperature in newborns, infants, and children and also to some extent in adults.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the normal forehead temperature?
The forehead or the temporal temperature usually ranges from 0.3 degrees Celsius to 0.6 degrees Celsius which is lower than the oral temperature.
2. Which temperature is accurate oral or temporal?
Generally, the oral temperature is considered more accurate as the mouth is closed while taking the readings and the thermometer is also in place.
3. At what forehead temperature we diagnose fever?
When the forehead temperature is 38 degrees Celsius (100.4 deg F) it is considered that the person has a fever.
4. How can one take the forehead temperature?
These temperatures are recorded with the help of digital forehead thermometer in the following way:
a) Place the sensor head in the centre of the forehead as the thermometer reads the heat waves coming from the temporal artery.
b) Further, slide the thermometer slowly across the forehead and towards the top of the ear but just near the hairline. Contact with the skin should not be lost.
c) Then read the temperature displayed on the screen.
d) The temperatures on the forehead should be recorded only with digital thermometers and not the forehead strips as they are not considered accurate.
Where to buy a Forehead Thermometer?
Forehead thermometer is available in Hyderabad at:
TrueCare Surgicals (Store 1)
Address: H.No 1-100, G2, Hitech City main road, Opposite Indian Oil Petrol Pump, Madhapur, Hyderabad, Telangana 500081.
TrueCare Surgicals (Store 2)
Address: Nizampet X road, Near Sri Holistic Hospital, Behind Vasireddy Swagruha Foods, Kukatpally, Hyderabad, Telangana 500072